Commercial Frozen Pipes
Did you come into work to find the floors flooded? Or were you awakened in the middle of the night by an employee reporting an unpleasant, wet surprise? Frozen pipes are a serious risk during the cold, winter months and can easily burst with the excess pressure—leaving your business with extensive water damage. A frozen pipe can cost more than $5,000 in property damage and that’s if you remedy the problem relatively quickly.
If you take action on frozen pipes early enough, it is possible to begin thawing in time to avoid pipe bursting—we can help! Already have frozen pipes in your business? No problem! We’re available 24 hours a day to help you deal with water damage emergencies too. Contact us within 24 – 48 hours to mitigate the damage with our thorough restoration services, available throughout Maryland, Washington, DC, and Virginia.
Preventing Frozen Pipes
At Tri State Restorations, we personalize our service to meet your needs. The techniques we use to unfreeze your pipes depend on where your pipes are located and whether they’re exposed or concealed. Water pipes located on the exterior wall or ceiling of a drafty building are at even greater risk of freezing in winter, so it’s essential to prepare your water system for freezing weather. You can take these steps to help keep your pipes from freezing in the winter:
- Provide a back-up power source in case of power outages in your building
- Monitor sprinkler system temperatures with a central system so you can be notified if the temperature plummets
- Make sure your building is properly insulated, with no cracks or leaks
- Install a monitored access flow switch on the main incoming water line to give you early warning of a broken pipe
- Install pipe insulators or heat trace tape with a reliable power source
Of course, the thawing process only prevents water damage if you’ve caught your frozen pipes before they burst—so be aware of any signs! You may have frozen pipes if:
- You have no running water
- There is frost on your pipes
- The weather has dropped below 32 degrees
If you’re experiencing any of these issues, it’s important to take action immediately to avoid bursting and flooding.
Water Damage Caused by Bursting Pipes
If you didn’t notice your frozen pipes early on, it’s likely that they could burst—and leave you with extensive water damage. Our restoration experts can help you treat the damage by performing the following key steps:
- Thoroughly inspecting your space to determine the extent of your damage and the appropriate cleanup methods
- Removing the excess water to minimize damage
- Structural drying using heavy-duty fans and equipment
- Removing any affected belongings and furniture
The sooner you begin cleanup, the better chance you have of mitigating damage and preventing mold growth. Fortunately, the restoration specialists at Tri State Restorations are on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to begin repairs as soon as possible—and we can be on site within 90 minutes. So contact us within two days to begin water damage restoration services in Maryland, Washington, DC, or Virginia. Or, if you’ve caught the issue early on, we can help you thaw your frozen pipes so you won’t even have to worry about flooding at all!