Did you come home from work to find your rooms flooded? Or wake up to an unpleasant wet surprise? Frozen pipes are a serious risk during the cold, winter months and can easily burst with the excess pressure—leaving you with extensive water damage in all rooms of the house. In fact, it’s estimated that when frozen pipes burst, they can release hundreds of gallons of water per hour!
But if you notice your frozen pipes early on, it is possible to begin thawing in time to avoid pipe bursting. Already have burst pipes on your hands? No problem! We’re available 24 hours a day to help you deal with water damage emergencies. Contact us within 24 – 48 hours to mitigate the damage with our thorough restoration services, available throughout Maryland, Washington, DC, and Virginia.
How to Unfreeze Pipes
Water pipes located along exterior walls or in the attic and basement of your home are particularly vulnerable. Some common methods for unfreezing pipes include:
- Heating the affected area with a hair dryer
- Using a heat lamp on the exposed pipe
- Warming pipes with a portable heater
- Wrapping the frozen pipe in electric heat tape
Of course, the thawing process only prevents water damage if you’ve caught your frozen pipes before they burst—so be aware of any signs! You may have frozen pipes if:
- You have no running water
- There is frost on your pipes
- The weather has dropped below 32 degrees
If you’re experiencing any of these issues, it’s important to take action immediately using the tips above to avoid bursting and flooding.
Water Damage Caused by Bursting Pipes
If you didn’t notice your frozen pipes early on, it’s likely that they could burst—and leave you with extensive water damage. Our restoration experts can help you treat the damage by performing the following key steps:
- Thoroughly inspecting your space to determine the extent of your damage and the appropriate cleanup methods
- Removing the excess water to minimize damage
- Structural drying using heavy-duty fans and equipment
- Removing any affected belongings and furniture
The sooner you begin cleanup, the better chance you have of mitigating damage and preventing mold growth. Fortunately, the restoration specialists at Tri State Restorations are on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to begin repairs as soon as possible—and we can be on site within 90 minutes. So contact us within two days to begin water damage restoration services in Maryland, Washington, DC, or Virginia.