Maryland weather brings with it high humidity levels and excess moisture that can lead to harmful mold growth if precautions aren’t taken. This makes proper moisture control imperative for homes and buildings in the area. And with winter approaching and the possibility of pipe freezing and ice damming becoming more likely, it’s especially important to take certain steps to keep your home protected.
As restoration experts who often deal with mold problems in the DC area, we know what it takes to make office and home moisture manageable. We have compiled a list so you know just what to do to keep your indoor space protected and mold-free at all times.
How to Prevent Home Moisture and Mold Growth
- Invest in indoor quality systems that will keep the humidity levels low—ideally between 30 and 50 percent.
- Make sure you have a proper irrigation system in place on your property to prevent water from seeping into your basement or crawlspace.
- If you spill something or have a plumbing leak in your home, get it cleaned up and fixed right away. According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), you have between 24 and 48 hours to prevent mold growth when excess moisture forms.
- Make sure you have good ventilation in place, especially in the bathroom to prevent mold growth in the shower area. We also recommend you use fans when showering, and also while cooking or running the dishwasher.
- Keep your gutters and roof clean and snow-free. Have repairs made quickly to prevent leakage and the formation of ice dams in the winter.
- Prepare for the drop in temperature during winter by keeping your pipes well insulated. Your piping naturally incurs moisture otherwise and, if left exposed, can freeze and eventually burst, flooding your home.
- Have the filters in your heating and cooling systems cleaned or replaced once a year for the sake of your indoor air quality.
Have Excess Moisture or Mold Growth in Your Home? Call Tri State!
We use innovative techniques for moisture control to help Maryland, Northern Virginia, and Washington, DC home and building owners with mold prevention and removal. So if you have early signs of water damage, call us to get the excess water removed fast. And if you’ve already noticed mold growing, we can help remove it to make sure your space is healthy and safe. We’re open 24/7 to get you help even when there’s an emergency at the worst possible time. Call now—866-818-1949!