The winter months can be especially hard on your home, its structure and foundation. When the temperature drops, your pipes might freeze, leaving you with extensive water damage. Sudden changes in temperature can cause cracks in your foundation, allowing melting snow to flood your basement. Even a small amount of ice and snow build up on your roof can create an ice dam, which can leak water into your attic.
Tri State Restorations offers these tips to help you protect your home from snow and ice damage this winter.
Be Prepared for Winter Storms
• When you leave your home, don’t turn off the heat, since this can cause your pipes to freeze. If you must turn the heat down significantly, open the hot and cold faucets just enough to drip, to help prevent freezing.
• Keep your attached garage door and fireplace flue closed to help keep your home warm.
• Check your sump pump, if you have one, to ensure that it is working properly. If electrical outages are common in your area and you need a sump pump to keep your basement dry, consider investing in a generator.
• Know the location of the main water shutoff and find out how it works in the event of an emergency.
Take Action After a Storm
• Keep your gutters and downspouts free of dirt and debris, reducing the chance of ice dams and water seepage into your home.
• Keep your storm drains clear of debris so that standing water has a place to go.
• Clear the snow from around your doors and windows so that melting snow doesn’t enter your home.
• Clear snow mounds from around exhaust pipes and air vents on heaters, furnaces and dryers.
• Take care of damaged limbs on and around your property so that they don’t become a hazard to your home or your neighborhood.
Call Tri State Restorations for 24/7 Emergency Services
If you should find yourself in the unlucky situation of having your home damaged by snow or ice this winter, call Tri State Restorations. We provide emergency fire and water damage cleanup and restoration in Maryland, Virginia and Washington DC 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Our Rockville location allows us to quickly arrive for snow and ice damage repair in Rockville, Potomac, Gaithersburg and throughout the rest of Montgomery County, Maryland.