In our more than 25 years in the restoration industry, we have learned a thing or two about dealing with insurance companies. Over the years we have learned the best way to get your claims approved and paid. That is why we have compiled a short list of do’s and don’ts when filing a claim to make sure your loss is covered and there is little to no out of pocket expense!
- First things first! Make sure you have the correct coverage. Not all policies are the same. Contact your local insurance agent and make sure your policy is as comprehensive as it needs to be. Check into what is covered and what is not before any type of loss happens. Pro Tip: Review your policy annually!
- Don’t speculate when filing a claim. When you are filing a claim it’s important to only talk about what you know, not what you think you know. Especially when talking about the supposed cause or start date of a leaky pipe, or malfunctioning appliance. We generally tell our customers to simply state the facts that you do know: 1. You found a leak, 2. You called a Plumber to fix the leak. 3. You called a mitigation specialist like Tri State Restorations for assistance with the dryout and property damage restoration. If you are unaware of what started the leak, or how long it’s been going on, the best course of action is to not talk about what you think happened. Consult an expert to verify the cause and extent of the damages prior to filing your claim, this will likely be the service technician you called out to fix the source of the property damage (i.e. plumber or hvac technician).
- After the hours you spent shopping around for the right insurance coverage, searching for the best remediation company should not be part of your to-do list in an emergency. Unless you find that you do not have the proper coverage, there is no need to shop around for quotes. If this is a covered loss, your insurance will work with and pay whatever contractor you picked to do the work. No need to worry about going with “the cheapest option” in this scenario, leave the negotiating with your insurance carrier to us!
- Know what’s written in your policy and how much your deductible is for any claim. This one is more to save time and understand how your policy works. Your deductible is paid out whenever you need service for your property. Think about it like going to the doctors, when you need to see a specialist, you pay your deductible/co-pay for the appointment. When you contract with Tri State Restorations for required remediation work, we charge your deductible as a deposit to begin any necessary work. Knowing how much it is will save you a lot of headache and might actually help you decide if filing a claim with your insurance is the right move. It may be more cost effective to pay out of pocket if the total cost of damages plus your reconstruction efforts is less than your deductible (see #5 below). Speak to our experts 24/7 at 866-818-1949 for assistance with this process, there’s always a live representative available to help.
- You have options! For smaller mitigation and restoration needs, it doesn’t always make sense to file an insurance claim. Sometimes your deductible might be higher than the cost of the remediation + reconstruction efforts. If this scenario matches your situation, let us know! We offer bundled package pricing for those clients looking to pay out of pocket and avoid filing a claim.
- Was your claim denied? We also offer payment plans and discounts to provide you with peace of mind and help get you back on your feet as soon as possible!
At Tri State Restorations we understand that dealing with insurance can be a painful process, but we’re here to help make it easier for you! We have billing experts that will advocate for you to help reduce your out of pocket costs as much as possible. Our team will also guide you through the process so you know exactly what is coming next and where you are regarding your claim. That’s why we’re known as the Peace of Mind Contractor!
While we hope you do not need our help, our team is available 24/7 and prepared to tackle any disaster. Give us a call and find out why we’re known for Turning Disaster into Peace of Mind for DMV area residents and businesses.