WHAT IS BLACK MOLD?
Everything you need to know about the dangers of black mold, detection, and having black mold removed!
BLACK MOLD (Stachybotrys)
Mold (fungi) are present everywhere. There are over 100,000 species of mold with at least 1,000 common to the U.S. Black Mold (Stachybotrys) is most likely to grow where there is water or dampness - such as in bathrooms and basements - and has been associated with health effects in people.
Many molds appear black but are not Stachybotrys. For example, the black mold commonly found between bathroom tiles is not toxic. Stachybotrys can be positively identified by trained professionals through a microscopic exam.
DANGERS OF BLACK MOLD
When mold is disturbed, spores can be released into the air. Exposure can occur if people inhale these spores, directly handle moldy materials, or accidentally ingest it. Mold can also produce chemicals called Mycotoxins. Mycotoxins may cause illness in people who are sensitive to them or if they are exposed to large amounts in the air. As the indoor air level of Stachybotrys increases, the higher the chance of health affects such as:
Allergic Rhinitis (Cold-Like Symptoms) • Dermatitis (Rashes), Sinusitis, Conjunctivitis, and Aggravation of Asthma. Some related symptoms are more general - such as inability to concentrate and fatigue. In cases of prolonged or severe exposure, or cases exacerbated by an allergic reaction, more extreme symptoms can appear including nausea, vomiting, and bleeding in the lungs and nose.
All black mold is toxic and very dangerous.
There are over 20,000 species of mold that are black in color. Only a trained professional with the right testing materials can determine the type of mold and any health risk.
If you're healthy, mold is not affecting your home.
Even if you're resistant to mold, your house is NOT! Between rotting wood and materials discoloring, it is crucial to remove mold to protect your home's value.
Black mold is capable of being deadly.
If exposed for long enough, black mold spores can affect your organs, diminish your immune system's effectiveness, and damage the brain - resulting in death.